- Bountysource has reached a number of milestones:
- Today it reached the goal of 33 000 open source developers who have signed up for Bountysource. Adding another 1000 developers in the last 5 weeks.
- It has reached +250K visitors in May, 515K page views and 295k sessions.
- The growth in traffic has gone from being around the 150 000th most visited site in October 2015 to now among the top 31 000 sites in the world in terms of traffic and keeps growing. (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/bountysource.com).
The most exiting piece of news comes here. The company has decided to make public its investor KPIs in a very transparent way. Developers, companies, customers, investors and anyone else interested in the marketplace can now see how the company is doing in real time.
The product Salt, which is a Roman expression for salary, is aimed at giving open source developers a decent remuneration for their work. The number of active teams is growing quickly and now there are 80 paid teams. These teams are paid by contributors. The commitments to support them are paid monthly. The product had a beta version during 2015 and was fully launched in the fall of 2015. For more info seehttps://www.bountysource.com/stats
The other business line is the bounties. IBM loves the bounty program and is recommending the service to other corporates. Thanks David Edelsohn for all your support. IBM has spent roughly 250 000 USD on its bounty program. The bounty hunter (the open source developer) who has gained most of the money has made 72 000 USD. For more info: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/ibm
The best piece of news comes at the end. Warren and David are applying Bountysource to Bountysource. The whole project is opensource and Bountysource is one of the 80 paid teams. While the revenue they collect on transactions pays the bills and keeps the service alive, it does not provide much room for improvement. They have launched a Salt campaign to address some of their immediate needs, including:
- Faster response times for customer support and cash out requests
- High priority bug fixes and new development
- Funding bounties for popular feature requests
The first objective of 500 dollars contributed which would equal to half a days work for the month was immediately reached. The next one is 1000 dollars, which means 1 full day of work during a month.
For more info and if you want to contribute go to:https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/bountysource